German mag Gamestar has recently been talking to the CD Projekt team in a subscriber-only podcast which included some new Cyberpunk 2077 Information. The interview sheds some more light on game features we’ll see in the game this September. This includes quest design and comparisons with what they did in The Witcher 3.
Interview Key Points
- Developers said that the improvements in the level Design are as big as they were from Witcher 2 to the Witcher 3.
- There will be no such thing as the barrels from the Witcher 3 in Cyberpunk with an overwhelming amount of map icons because some players want to complete every single map icon available.
- Due to the Coronavirus, the devs had to work from home and CDPR sent over 700 Workstations out to the devs around the world with Cyberpunk installed. Therefore we know at least 701 people are working on the game.
- You will have about 3 times that many ways to solve a mission than in the Witcher 3. They stated, “What is the dumbest thing a player could do now and how is it possible that the mission continues. The only thing stopping it is the player’s death. They cited an example where you talk to someone, get shot, and instead of fighting back you run away and buy a hamburger but the mission has to continue. (Does this mean eating is confirmed? I’m not sure)
- They tried to improve this in the Witcher 3 DLCs and want to improve it even more in Cyberpunk: Some players said the missions when using the Witcher sight were too similar and not that interesting. We won’t see that again. I assume we will have something similar with Cyberwear but that will be used better for missions.
- While there are some areas in the Witcher 3 where villagers don’t have a daily routine, they are planning to improve this by giving more than a thousand NPCs a handmade routine.
- According to a dev working on quest design they have no “rules” about how a quest has to be (eg. Do not let you move more than 1000 meters, you talk to 2,5 people) the only rule they have: If it‘s good, we expand it and implement it.
- When they fully finished a quest they do not put them aside and work on the next. They continue playing it over and over again until the game releases because they might find something to fix or improve. That’s what they did with the Witcher 3 and what they are doing with Cyberpunk.
- They were really proud of themselves that no one leaked the appearance of Keano Reeves in more than a year they knew they got him before the E3.
- The melee fight System shown in the E3 trailer was not where they wanted it so expect some big improvements there.
- Inside of the Cyberspace you will be able to summon Phantasy-RPG-like creatures and warriors who can for example burn out another hacker.